Family Care Specialists (FCS) was founded in 1988 by six American trained, board certified bilingual family physicians. Each of the founding members has a background in this community, and one of their goals in starting this practice was to give back to the community in both service and medical education. Over the years FCS has grown to now include four offices, over twenty physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners, and nearly 150 staff. Each year, our family medicine residency program includes 21 family physicians in training.
Awards, Activities & Recognition
- Residency Program: The Family Medical Residency program at our Boyle Heights, Family Health Center location is regularly recognized as the one of the top programs in California by the State of California’s Song-Brown Family Physician Training Program.
- NCQA PCMH Quality Recognition: FCS was an early adopter of the Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) recognition by the National Committee for Quality Assurance. This nationwide initiative emphasizes improved coordination, communication and usage of health information technology to help improve the clinical patient outcomes.
- Member of Adventist Health Accountable Care Organization: FCSMG works with groups of doctors and hospitals to help support coordination of shared patients and be accountable for quality of care for Medicare beneficiaries.
- County and Statewide Collaborations: To stay abreast of current trends—and participate in discussions for future healthcare decisions—leadership at Family Care Specialists remain active in many city, county and statewide healthcare initiatives.
- Our staff sits on boards and committees with the Los Angeles County Medical Association, The California Endowment, Latino Coalition for a Healthy California, Alliance for a Better Community, Blue Shield of California and others.
- Advocacy for Private Practice Physicians: The Los Angeles County Medical Association recognized the FCSMG Medical Director with the 2016 Independent Physician Leadership Award from the Los Angeles County Medical Association.
- Integrated Healthcare Association (IHA) Awards:
- In 2011, the FCSMG received the Integrated Healthcare Association (IHA) Bangasser Award for value-based pay-for-performance standards, and awarded it commendations for being the highest performing Medi-Cal provider in the state.
- In 2013, IHA recognized the FCS Medical Group for its performance on Medicare Stars
- “Certificate of Exemplary Performance in Health Care Transformation” awarded to Family Care Specialists by the NRACO Consortium in 2018
- Grant Awards/Participation: FCS has participated or been awarded quality improvement project grant funding from various organizations including:
- The University of California, San Francisco: Center for Excellence in Primary Care
- Unihealth Foundation
- Weingart Foundation